Two things from today:
First, I spent a little time fiddling on my lunch break and have worked out more or less how to use Adobe Illustrator for drafting patterns–it’s not *that* different from Visio, Flash, or other drawing programs, thankfully. I could have gotten pattern drafting software, but I already have Illustrator, so why spend $200+ on patternmaking software?
Second, I found someone who can help me with flat pattern drafting–I had forgotten that an acquaintance of mine does fashion design! So we’ve been chatting about pattern drafting and he’s offered to let me look through his library and/or help out with specific problems. I may try hiring him to help me design costumes for this year’s ride.
The three yards of burnout/regular silk velvets have arrived, as have the marbling supplies. Which means it’s just about time to start a dyeing frenzy…I plan to cut the velvets into fat eighths (because this is crazy quilting, I only need very small pieces) and dye it using an assortment of methods, mostly either dye painting or low-water immersion dyeing. Because the pile is rayon, I can dye “cold” using Procion MX dyes, which means dyeing will take longer (the dye needs time to react with the fiber) but it’s less fussy than having to steam/boil in acid dye.
I also got some thiourea dioxide (used for discharging (removing) color from dyes) but am not quite sure what to do with it…I had forgotten that it creates irritating fumes. Since my kitchen is totally unventilated, I can’t work with the thiourea dioxide indoors. I’m debating whether it’s worth buying a camp stove just so I can do a few dye experiments. I may price some of them out at REI or something.
I’m also pleased because I just got a nice bonus at work (for completion of my latest project), which will pay for the worst of my stitching excesses.