Just a quick note to say that I’ve created a new webpage for my dye samples:
I’ve finished the first set of dye samples and am impatiently waiting for the next batch of embroidery floss and dyes to arrive, so I can do a second (or more) set.Â I’m a bit surprised by these dye samples – color theory says that yellow + magenta = red to orange, but there are no red-red shades and the orange is closer to salmon.Â The purples are gorgeous, but there are no browns – only shades of mauve and a few grays.Â I’m not sure what’s causing this – it looks like the yellow isn’t strong enough, so purples predominate.Â I may have to redo this set with a stronger solution of yellow, or else a different shade of yellow.Â I don’t much like the look of the lemon yellow, so perhaps I’ll use the deep yellow that’s on its way.
For those who are into mixing colors, here is a chart from Paula Burch that lists the “pure” (unmixed) Procion MX dyes.
Doing the dyes turns out to be considerably less tedious than I had anticipated, in part because I simplified the procedure a bit.Â I now have to be around for approximately two hours to do a batch of dye samples, but it only takes about 40 minutes to an hour of actual work.Â Multiplied by four batches it’s still a fair amount of time, but not nearly as tedious as I’d been expecting.Â I’m looking forward to doing more.
I have finished weaving off the huck lace shawls and have twisted the fringe for the first one.Â Now I just have to twist the fringe for the second one, and wet-finish both of them, and I’ll be good to go for my next project.Â If I can figure out what the next project is.Â 🙂