Spent all day today cooking up dye samples – ternary plots, if you want to be precise.Â Having just completed a set of color triangles in magenta, turquoise, and yellow (the printer’s magic trio), I decided to try some other Sabracron F colors.Â So I used blue F-45, Scarlet F-31, and Sun Yellow F-11.
It turns out that Scarlet F-31 is actually damn close to orange, and behaves not unlike orange when mixed.Â (I could have saved myself some time by reading Deb Menz’s Color in Spinning for her commentary on Sabracron F colors.Â Oh well; it didn’t occur to me until after I did the dye samples.)
Which means, of course, none of that indigo I was looking for; indigo is a blue-purple, and blue + orange = brown.Â There are, in fact, no purples at all in this mix, which is totally unsurprising considering the colors involved.Â However, I got some nice maroons, some glorious rust browns, and some nice moss greens, so I don’t feel too cheated.Â Tomorrow I need to dye some extra skeins to make up for a few that I botched (hey, you try dyeing 120+ skeins of yarn without making a single error!), and will probably include in that make-up batch a few more attempts at indigo.Â I will also read a bit more of my book on color theory, in hopes of understanding how to mix indigo a little better.Â The book is directed at pigment mixing (which is different from dye mixing) but it’s extremely interesting (etc., etc.) and worth reading in its own right.
But first, I’m going to spend a good chunk of tomorrow studying up on Web 2.0.Â Got an interview coming up tomorrow afternoon and another one on Thursday, both focused around e-commerce.Â Hopefully one or the other will pan out; cross your fingers for me!