I finally got the parts for the loom (no fault of Leclerc’s – the package mistakenly wound up on the desk of a coworker who was off on vacation) and fixed it. As promised, it was an easy fix – just swap out the parts and off you go. I promptly went on a minor weaving rampage and finished up the fabric for the jacket. Here are some photos of it:
The whole cloth:
A closeup (showing the subtle variations in pattern as the treadling advances):
I had one minor problem, which was that I had skipped a dent in the reed while sleying. This washed out in the wet-finishing of the sample, so I didn’t think twice about it. Unfortunately, in the finished fabric, the flaw is very visible (center of the tan line):
I wasn’t sure if it didn’t wash out because I used a different yarn than in the original set of samples (yes, I know, I should have tested the specific yarn out first, but it didn’t occur to me after weaving samples in 4 different yarns, some quite similar), or because I didn’t wet-finish it for long enough. The samples were wet-finished in warm water on delicate cycle in the washer, the yardage was originally wet-finished in cold water, delicate cycle. I also forgot to throw in the towel that I used to “roughen up” the sample.
So, back into the washer, this time for the same wet-finishing as the other sample. Still reed marks. In desperation, I even threw it into the dryer, low heat, for ten minutes, but the reed marks are still there and still visible as a stripe in the finished fabric. (Fortunately, my frantic visions of removing a piece of felt weren’t actualized: it only shrank about 2% in width and the finished piece actually feels nicer than when it went in – a little thicker and with more body, good for jacket fabric.)
Two morals to this story: first, weave and wet-finish a sample with the exact yarn you will be using. Second, next time, re-sley rather than risk it.
I will probably try to run the flawed section up the side of the jacket rather than the fronts. Fortunately, the pieces are fairly narrow (except for the sleeves), so I think I can manage it. I don’t know what I’m going to do with the shawls, though.