Spent this morning playing with satin peg-plans, and produced this result (click for full image):
It’s nothing fancy or particularly attractive, but it’s more of a proof-of concept, and a brushing up on techniques. I used an expanded advancing twill (as Bonnie suggested) to simplify the threading, then cut and pasted ribbons of 2-3 satin and a 4-1 satin against a 1-4 satin background. And it works!! I ran it through the float checker and the longest float is 4 ends. Magic!
It really wasn’t as easy as it sounds, though – I had to do about two hours of messing around in Photoshop and rereading Alice Schlein and Bhakti Ziek’s book The Woven Pixel to get it to work out right. Now that I have a better understanding, of course, it will take me a lot less time and I can play with it until I find something that looks attractive to me.
Next step: creating a network threading and peg plan that I really like. I expect this will take me a week or more, especially considering everything else I have going on.