Today I did a 45-mile bike ride and then finished sewing the bodice of the peacock-feather tutu.Â I also made the body of the skirt, which will be gold organza covered with peacock feathers.
The in-progress piece now looks like this:
I’m still debating what to do about the peacock feathers.Â The group on the left is untrimmed, natural; the group on the right has the “hairy” parts trimmed away to reveal just the eye.Â It’s a neater look but not quite as swoopily graceful as the natural peacock feathers.
I’m sort of inclined to trim the feathers, because in my experience from last time the green “halo” looks a bit wild and unkempt in actual life:
This time I want a more tailored, precise look – so I think I will trim the feathers.Â I’m interested in what other people think, though, so if you think they look better untrimmed, let me know!
Tomorrow I will sew up the fuschia-and-maroon/purple tutu, and start the Elizabethan tutu – which is going to be complex and difficult.Â Tuesday I will finish the Elizabethan tutu, decorate the white tutu (which right now looks more like a nightgown than anything else – have to sauce it up a bit!), and then go back to work on the peacock feather tutu.Â I am doing things in the order of disaster should it not get done in time.Â I figure with the peacock feathers I can always reuse the metallic gold tutu, but the other two have got to get done.
I also have to make a black underskirt and possibly a gold underskirt, which will be a pain – I hate working with tulle, it’s fluffy and hard to handle.Â I’m putting that off to the very last since I do have a white underskirt already.
Making progress, but still lots to sew!