I finally managed to twist the fringes, wet-finish, press, etc. the changing-colors shawl today at lunchtime, so I couldn’t resist posting a new set of photos.Â I’ve Photoshopped them in an attempt to get the saturation to where the shawl actually is, but it’s just about impossible to capture the sheen of the silk in a photo, so if you really want to know what it looks like, you’ll have to come have tea with me.Â 🙂
I am actually pretty pleased with this shawl, though I consider it more of a hasty sketch than a carefully painted study.Â It has some flaws, not fatal ones, but on the whole, it’s beautiful – especially close up, where the yellow stripes aren’t as pronounced.Â Crumpled randomly into a pile, it is a collection of ever-changing colors, no square inch like another, flowing into each other gracefully – which was, of course, the point.
I have also figured out how to correct my warping problem that was creating the stripes.Â The problem lies in the threading – I got the cross twisted somehow when I did my initial threading – and if I just rethread those sections removing the twist in the cross, I should be just fine.Â I had thought this impossible because I am used to working with a plain beam – but with a sectional beam, I can easily identify the precise thread at which the incorrect section starts, and use my handy AVL treadling-the-threading trick to rethread the section quickly and accurately.Â Hopefully that should fix it.
Tonight I am going to cut and dip caramels, tomorrow is a guild meeting.Â Friday is date night, so no candy until Saturday…when I start in on fudge.Â Yum!
And now, the photos….