Despite 11 hour days at work, I have been working on bound buttonholes, practicing and trying several different methods. Here are two of them, along with a button:
I gave up on the second one halfway through as I didn’t like the look of it at all. The organza patch was supposed to press invisibly away, but obviously didn’t. I also couldn’t see how to get piped buttonhole lips into the window gracefully (and didn’t think that flat lips would look good with the fluffy coat fabric). Finally, pressing from the front as instructed crushed the fluffy “pile” of the mohair. The first method worked perfectly and is the method I will use in the coat.
I think the second method would work better with a fabric that is not as lofty and not as hard to press. (I’m still trying to figure out how to press the seams without squishing the fabric, but perhaps I can either (1) brush it afterwards to bring up the nap again, or (2) look up how one presses velvet. This is obviously a problem that other people have dealt with, so I just have to find out how.)
At any rate, I like my bound buttonholes, so my next step will be putting them into the coat. That will be fun! I really enjoyed making the first bound buttonhole and am looking eagerly forward to doing more. Funny since I hate doing machine-worked buttonholes. I don’t know why bound buttonholes are so much fun to me, but they are.