I finished putting the collar and facings on the mohair coat today:
I’m moderately pleased with it. The collar looks nice (good choice of colors), and one lapel is just about perfect. In the other, however, it seems I didn’t add enough room for turn-of-cloth, and so the mohair fabric is showing behind the collar. (If you load the full-size photo, you can see it.) We’ll see whether the problem persists after I’ve tacked down the facing and applied the lining.
I botched sewing in one of the sleeves, so one sleeve hangs perfectly and the other has big wrinkle lines. Unfortunately I didn’t see that until I had trimmed the seams, so I’m pretty much stuck with it. Nonetheless I am fairly pleased with the coat overall. Not perfect, but I’ve learned a lot, and it’s not bad for a first effort.
I still have to put in the lining, but the coat is nearly finished! And a good thing too – I’m eager to get to work on the wedding dress, and of course there’s still the “real” coat to do!!