I spent a little while tinkering with my eternity knot draft today, and have decided to weave a gamp 15″ wide with three different patterns:
- eternity knot against a six-shaftÂ broken twill background
- eternity knot against a four-shaft broken twill background
- eternity knot against a four-shaft broken twill background, with the motifs spaced farther apart.
Most of the gamp, of course, will be mush, but the sections of interest should look something like this:
(The full size photo shows it at just slightly smaller life size, so click on the thumbnail if you want to see the actual size as it will be woven.)
The things I am testing with this gamp are:
- Does using a six-shaft rather than a 4-shaft broken twill background make a big difference in how clearly the pattern shows?Â (You can see in the photo that the first one, the six-shaft broken twill, has a significantly lighter background.Â is it enough to make a difference?)
- Is a closer spacing more attractive than a wider spacing?
- Is it better to combine the gold metallic with another, darker weft (to increase contrast) or to use 100% gold metallic?
- What is the correct sett?
I won’t be able to answer the last question 100%, both because the sample is narrower than the finished result and because I am mixing two weave structures in the same gamp (6-shaft and 4-shaft broken twill).Â But I should get an idea of whether it will work.Â I plan to sett at 60 epi, which Ashenhurst’s Rule suggests would be about right for the 6-shaft broken twill, maybe a little close for the 4-shaft broken twill.
I will weave two repeats of this sample, the first to sample different weft combinations and the second to check on the spacing with the sample I decide I like best.Â Unfortunately (?), that means I will have to dye some 140/2 silk to combine with the gold metallic before I can start weaving.Â Between that and having to beam on and thread 900 threads for this sample, it will likely be next week before I can start weaving.
And, of course, there are the muslins.Â I’ve cut and marked all the pieces for the coat muslin and have just started sewing it up; I should finish tomorrow morning.Â I also need to correct the pattern and cut/sew the corselette (interior support) for the dress, including boning, by Sunday – which will take another few days of work.Â I definitely have my workÂ cut out for me!
…and, starting next weekend, I will need to start making chocolates as well.Â Caramels and toffee first, followed by fudges.Â I also need to do a test batch of bonbons to see if my new ganache cutters work!
It would be nice if there were three of me, but there’s only one, so I guess I’m going to have to prioritize the fun.Â :-)Â But I’m looking forward to it!