My friend Julie and I got together last night and went through her bead collection, playing with different types of beads on the lace + fabric. We concluded, not too surprisingly, that pearls were still the best option – moonstone faded into the fabric, cubic zirconia was far too sparkly, and rock crystal too dull and unfinished. (We did however, briefly consider having a small school of nifty blue-green glass fish darting across the front of the gown – those fish were NEAT!)
At any rate, Julie was kind enough to loan me some of her half-round freshwater pearls, and I used them to create the following simulation:
I like it! I wanted something understated, not full of beads, and this does it nicely. And at only six pearls per motif, I’ll have enough pearls to use a bunch of them at the neckline (see top of photo). I’m not sure I want that many pearls there yet, but at least I’ll have the option.
The “real” beads, of course, will be perfectly round. The Akoya pearls are scheduled to arrive today – I can hardly wait! I want to see them on the fabric, and will probably post another photo once they arrive.
Weaving-wise, I am now at the 9-yard point on this piece, 11.5 yards total. I figure I can probably get another 14 yards out of the warp, so I’m rapidly approaching the halfway point. If I can average a yard a day for the next 14 days, I’ll finish in plenty of time. That’s still a stretch, but looking much more approachable than it did a week ago.
Meanwhile, hop on over to my friend Sandra Rude’s blog. Sandra, bless her heart, is weaving a banner for our wedding, to be hung over the entrance to the ceremony location. She just got a Jacquard loom, and this will be the second warp on the loom! I’m incredibly honored, and also looking breathlessly forward to seeing the finished banner! I’m sure it will be beautiful, and I can’t wait to see it.