I woke up this morning, and, totally uncharacteristically, had nothing to do!Â I had wet-finished the last of the coat yardage yesterday night, and the dress was sewn, so I had some (gasp) free time!
So I decided to play with that luscious lace and the pearls.Â Here are two photos of what I came up with (you’ll have to click for the closer view, it’s hard to make out details in the small version):
I had originally planned to put the galloons (the scalloped edge of the lace) against the neckline, but really didn’t like that – it cluttered up a very beautiful, simple neckline.Â So instead I decided to use those lovely pearls, front and center, spaced out around the top of the dress.Â I think that worked out very well.
The lace is placed in a fairly classic configuration, just down the front of the bodice, ending a little below the waist.Â I needed it down to the waist to cover some flaws in the fabric, and it looked good that way anyway.Â With the pearls, going with the “less is more” theory, I placed just eight pearls on the bodice (except for the neckline).Â I had to futz with the positioning of the lace motifs to getÂ the pearls to be (a) symmetrical on the dress, and (b) in the center of a flower, where it would enhance the lace.Â But I managed it.
Off to go work on the dress with Sharon!Â Today (hopefully!) we are attaching the foundation and lining to the dress, and cutting out the coat fabric.Â The lace and pearls won’t go on until much later, but it was fun to play!