Just a quick note to mention that in the past year, my website has served up over 100,000 page views, according to the WordPress stats module I installed! And at the current rate, I’ll be serving up about 180,000 page views per year (about 500/day). Not bad for a personal website! I’m pleased.
I have been playing more with doubleweave, creating progressively more complex drafts. I’ve gone from simple doubleweave patterns (two layers of plainweave in tubular, two separate layers, and center fold versions) to more complex, layer-interchanging patterns using Bonnie Inouye’s divided parallel threading method. The most interesting part I’ve gotten so far has been two layers, interchanging in the shape of a cross, with layer A weaving satin in the background and plainweave in the cross, and layer B doing likewise. The overall effect is a cross made of plainweave set atop a satin background, on both top and bottom. In the process of getting to that, I got a cross that was satin on top and plainweave on bottom…really neat stuff. I’m still working out the various permutations, but I’m starting to feel like I understand the simpler weaves now. I’ll post pictures tonight – ran out of time this morning, too fascinated with the play of threads and colors.
I’ve decided to warp up with 10/2 cotton, alternating raspberry and dark turquoise, sett at 48 epi. Weft will be screaming pink (paired with raspberry) and lime green (paired with dark turquoise). Pretty dramatic, but it’s what I’ve got on hand.
I am also thinking of dyeing another set of gradated colors in 30/2 silk…I am dying to try doubleweave with gradated warps!
More tonight (this time with pretty pictures)!