Yesterday I set up my table loom for tapestry weaving.Â It was an interesting experience – it’s been months since I set up a loom for back-to-front warping on a plain beam (normally I use my sectional beam), and I botched the winding-on badly at the beginning, so instead of a cylinder I had a cone-shaped warp.Â I had to wind it all off and re-beam, thankfully with better results this time.Â Fortunately, on a 90-thread, 3-yard warp, that took only a few moments!Â After weaving with 1500+ thread, 20-yard warps, it was amazingly fast.
Anyway, I didn’t have what is apparently standard tapestry warp (8/3 or 8/4 linen is what was recommended by the folks on Weavolution), nor did I have the recommended tapestry yarn.Â What to do?
Well, I figured that people weave tapestry with all sorts of yarns, so it was probably just a matter of finding the right warp and the right sett.Â So I took out my 10/2 linen (the heaviest cotton or linen yarn I own), did my wraps per inch, and warped up at the theoretically optimal sett of 10 epi.
Having no idea what weight of weft would be appropriate, I then tried several weights, starting with a sportweight yarn:
I promptly discovered that sportweight was waaaaay too thick!Â I tried several options, and finally got good warp coverage (tapestry is a weft-faced weave) with a single strand of 30/2 silk.Â This is pretty, but would take FOREVER to weave a sample, so I think I may try to open up the sett somewhat (fewer warp ends per inch) and weave a sample with slightly heavier yarn.Â But first I will order somewhat larger warp yarns, so I can use heavier weft yarns in my samples!