Pretty pictures first:
Those two I like a lot.Â The polyester, however, didn’t thrill me at all:
I am debating whether to use the nylon or the gold embroidery thread in the finished piece.Â The nylon is much brighter and more glittery (which doesn’t show up well in the photo); the gold is more understated and elegant.
Since this is for a garment, which is typically viewed from several feet away (at least!), I think I will likely use the nylon.Â If I were doing a smaller piece, for example for Small Expressions, I would use the gold – it’s pretty and would be best appreciated up close.
The polyester just doesn’t have any glitz, and I feel that glitz is important for this piece.Â Not necessarily loud, but there should be some sparkle.
Now, the interesting technical stuff:
Some memory floating through the back of my head said that there must be an easier way to construct these drafts, and I was right!Â I went back to Alice Schlein’s blog and found the entry on risers and sinkers, changed my pattern, and was off and running!
Here is the end result:
And, since this shows no evidence of how I constructed it, here is the .psd file.
After a false start or two, I have got the weave structure and the burnout weave structure to play nicely together, so I will be weaving up the samples for the Fine Threads Study Group over the next couple of days.