I made fourteen fruitcakes today – nine large and five small. Â Lots of fun! Â I used six kinds of candied citrus peels – bergamot, Seville orange, yuzu, citron, Meyer lemon, and Rangpur lime – plus the candied sweet cherries and candied sour cherries that I’d put up earlier in the year. Â I also discovered, poking around the garage, that I have an embarrassingly large collection of candied citrus already – in addition to the six varieties just mentioned, I also have candied grapefruit and lime peels, for a total of eight varieties. Â And I’m about to add blood orange peel to the mix, as the ninth variety. Â What can I say? Â I like candying citrus peels. Â And it makes great fruitcake!
The last batch of mixed citrus peel to reach the cutting board glowed so beautifully in the afternoon sun that I couldn’t resist taking a photo:
After about two hours of chopping, all 18 pounds of “goodies” were done:
(I put a stick of butter at the back of the photo (near the center, the silvery reflective rectangle) to give you an idea of the proportions. Â For reference, the heap of goodies is about 8 inches tall!)
Then it was just a matter of mixing up the batter (20 eggs, 8 cups flour, 18 oz pineapple juice, 2 lbs of butter, 4 cups sugar, plus baking powder and salt), pouring it over the yummy bits, and then mixing up by hand – literally! Â I didn’t quite get elbow-deep in the fruitcake batter, but I was in up to my (well-scrubbed) f0rearms as I mixed it about with my hands, feeling for any not-quite-even portions.
(The nice thing about being an adult is that one can play with one’s food and not have to worry about Mommy coming by to tell you not to! Â Although, in this particular case, Mommy actively encourages it – she likes fruitcake, too…)
Somewhere in between all that, Mike and I managed to get the Fireside temple on the loom. Â I’m not sure if it’s going to work – currently it looks like the construction of the temple does not play nicely with a narrow X-frame loom. Â It goes on, but it looks like I’ll lose about 2″ total weaving width if I want to use it. Â On a 60″ loom, no big deal. Â On a 24″ loom, much bigger problem. Â I’m going to mess around a bit more, though, before deciding what to do.
I have also wound two more bouts of the new warp, and have calculated that it takes about 20 minutes to wind, tie off the cross, and beam on one 37-yard bout. Â So now I have twenty bouts left to go, or a bit under 7 hours. Â Since my time during the week is somewhat limited, and I have some other commitments to tend, I think my goal this week is to be 100% beamed-on by Friday, so I can start threading in earnest on Saturday. Â Ideally, I’d like to be weaving by next Monday, but that might be a bit ambitious.