I finished weaving the panel yesterday, and will be dyeing it this morning. Â Here’s a pic:
(The colors will be more intense once it is fully painted.)
I don’t like the striations in this one. Â They are now subtle enough and irregular enough that they look accidental, like a bad dye job, rather than something intentional. Â To address this, I’ve quickly knitted and dyed another sample blank, which looks like this:
This blank was knitted with 75 needles, which is just a bit “off” from the length of a single pick (which I calculate to be about 70 needles). Â This will guarantee that the striped blank will turn into horizontal stripes. Â The striped painting of the blank (which produces the longest possible “runs” of color) will make those stripes more prominent. Â (See this blog post from 2009 for another experiment I did using striped blanks.)
Notice the high contrast between the two colors used. Â This is because I want the striping to show more clearly than it will in the finished piece (if I like it enough to use it in a full panel, that is!). Â This will tell me the overall pattern that results; the real pattern, of course, will be subtler.
There are a few other technical issues with dyeing a striped blank – mostly on how to keep the sample from rolling back on itself, as the one above has clearly done – but I think I can solve that by using some pins and craft felt. Â The only downside is that the blank will no longer be microwaveable, so I will either need to bake it in the oven or else put together a homemade steamer.
I see the sun is starting to come up, so it’s off to wet-finish and dye the woven panel!