I finished unraveling the blank in two hours and fifteen minutes – a hefty amount of time considering I plan to weave up twelve blanks! Â But I think that switching to a wider blank will speed that up.
Here is a photo of the finished pirns. Â Doesn’t look like much for six hours’ work, does it? (2.25 hours to knit, 1.5 hours to mix up dyes and paint it, 2.25 hours to unravel.)
I loveÂ the colors. Â The only problem in my mind is that the gold really dominates – that’s because of an error in dyeing: I missed a section end or two and so the color repeats are way too long in some areas. Â When I knit the next blank, I will include a row or two of cotton yarn at the end of each section, to make the changes more obvious. Â But who knows? Â It may turn out to be perfectly OK, in which case my next problem is duplicating it for next time!
Here are the beginnings, woven up:
In retrospect, I don’t like the green-and-yellow section. Â The contrast is too high and is distracting. Â I suspect this answers the question of whether I want to keep puddles of color separate or let them merge. Â If I do keep them separate, I will want to mix intermediate shades to keep the color changes subtle.
I thought about which way to orient the maple leaves. Â They are more “readable” as maple leaves when pointing upward, but in autumn the leaves fall DOWN, not up, so I decided to put them pointing down (for this sample, anyway). Â Here’s what it will look like when actually sewn up:
But I am not wedded to this, and am curious what you think! Â Please leave a comment telling me what you prefer and why! Â I might just switch it halfway through.