I finished unraveling the blank in two hours and fifteen minutes – a hefty amount of time considering I plan to weave up twelve blanks! But I think that switching to a wider blank will speed that up.
Here is a photo of the finished pirns. Doesn’t look like much for six hours’ work, does it? (2.25 hours to knit, 1.5 hours to mix up dyes and paint it, 2.25 hours to unravel.)
I love the colors. The only problem in my mind is that the gold really dominates – that’s because of an error in dyeing: I missed a section end or two and so the color repeats are way too long in some areas. When I knit the next blank, I will include a row or two of cotton yarn at the end of each section, to make the changes more obvious. But who knows? It may turn out to be perfectly OK, in which case my next problem is duplicating it for next time!
Here are the beginnings, woven up:
In retrospect, I don’t like the green-and-yellow section. The contrast is too high and is distracting. I suspect this answers the question of whether I want to keep puddles of color separate or let them merge. If I do keep them separate, I will want to mix intermediate shades to keep the color changes subtle.
I thought about which way to orient the maple leaves. They are more “readable” as maple leaves when pointing upward, but in autumn the leaves fall DOWN, not up, so I decided to put them pointing down (for this sample, anyway). Here’s what it will look like when actually sewn up:
But I am not wedded to this, and am curious what you think! Please leave a comment telling me what you prefer and why! I might just switch it halfway through.