I dyed the bright panels and first dark panel yesterday, and rinsed them out at lunchtime today. Â Then, of course, I just hadÂ to throw them up on the dress form:
Sandra “called” it yesterday: the burgundy is the clear winner. Â The blue-purple and green don’t feel like they belong to the piece at all. Â The blue-purple actually is echoed in the dark panel about 2/3 of the way down, but is not present in the brighter panel. Â The burgundy relates to both panels, and looks elegant.
I didn’t do the bright green panel because (on seeing it) it was far too awful to contemplate. Â I think I will dye one of my two sample blanks burgundy and the other plum, and see what I think of the results.
I also did one drape with no collar, just to see how the colors interact. Â I’m not sure what to think of it; I think it’s beautiful, but probably a little austere for a fashion show.
Meanwhile, I have just about finished drafting the pattern in Adobe Illustrator – I need to redraft the sleeve, but have finished the body of the garment pattern. Â This is trickier since it sounds since the four pieces in front are all different – right and left front are different because of the asymmetric collar, and the facings are different again because the upper collar is 1/8″ larger than the undercollar (so the collar lies correctly). Â I did, however, work out all the intricacies, and cranked it out on the printer, which did a maaaaahhhhhvelous job printing out all those 50″ panels, without a single complaint. Â Tomorrow morning I will redraft the sleeve, print it out, and start cutting out the muslin!
Here is the printer, chugging away:
Off to bed! Â Tomorrow is a whole ‘nother day. Â 🙂