At this point I’ve completed all the chocolate work that can be done in advance, so I’ve gone back to work on Autumn Splendor. Â Here is a screenshot of my latest opus, in Adobe Illustrator (you’ll need to click through to the larger version):
In this version I have made quite a few changes: adjusted the center front and center back curves, adjusted the side panel to be less visible, and separated the undercollar from the main body of the garment. Â Quite a bit of pattern surgery!
I’ve snapshotted the entire window so you can see how I’ve set it up in Illustrator. Â I have each section on a separate layer (actually a set of layers); by turning visibility of a layer on and off, I can switch between viewing the left front, the right front, the left front facing, the right front facing, right back, and left back – swapping out the sections unique to each piece while leaving the lines they share in common.
Next step is to dye the fabric for the muslin. Â I’ve cut, washed, Â and dried 10 panels of white cotton flannel and (if chocolate allows) will dye them this weekend. Â I experimented with paint (on a suggestion from Bonnie Inouye) – but artists’ acrylics affect the “hand” of the fabric and I don’t have any fabric paint on hand, so I’m going to dye the flannel instead. Â (The other upside of dyeing is that I can do two or three panels at once, as long as I make sure the dye penetrates.) Â After that I can print out the patterns, and cut and sew the muslin. Â I’m guessing I can get the dyeing done this weekend (in between lots of chocolate work), but as Chocopalooza is next week, I probably won’t finish the muslin until after Thanksgiving.
Michelle asked what Autumn Splendor would look like as a floor-length duster. Â Alas, that is not an option. Â When I wove the fabric, I designed each panel with a calf-length coat in mind, and as a result, each panel is just long enough for a calf-length coat. Â (The color changes forced me to choose a specific length, as otherwise there would be too much gold or too much brown at the ends.) Â Making it floor length would require reknitting/dyeing/unraveling/weaving/dyeing the panels – best not to go there!