I got the sleeves onto Autumn Splendor this morning – the first time I have EVER been satisfied with a set-in sleeve! Â Hooray for couture techniques – they work!
I also experimented with changing the line of the garment as Niki suggested. Â Here’s a photo (right is original, left is experimentally altered line):
This still didn’t feel right to me, so I experimented for most of this afternoon. Â I tried beads, but didn’t like it – this is a quiet, understated piece and beads felt too glitzy. Â I tried simulating a keyhole neckline in the shape of a maple leaf, but that looked stiff and contrived.
Finally I stumbled upon Â this:
I like this a lot – the leaves break up the vast expanse of yellow, add visual interest to the top, and emphasize the swoopy motion of the top front curve. Â They also repeat the color progression in the dark panels, only in reverse (to add a little variety). Â The only problem, of course, is that now the coat looks unbalanced. Â It needs something in the top right corner (the gold shoulder) to balance the weight of the leaves, I think. Â Maybe. Â Perhaps.
I stuck on a brooch that a friend had made for me:
I don’t like this – it does balance things better, but it looks totally out of place and distracts from the swoopy curve. Â I think I may just say “to heck with it” and just do the leaves, unbalanced as they are.
But I plan to mull it over for a few more days…maybe baste on the applique leaves and sort of “live with” the various design ideas for awhile, while working on other things. Â I’ve worked on it too much the last few days – I need fresh eyes!