I spent some time this morning fiddling around with leaves. No matter how I arranged them, the piece felt dull and static. Very discouraging.
Then it occurred to me: maple leaves don’t look like that when they fall! I had been using the same maple-leaf pattern that I wove into the leaves – which had to be symmetric because of the threading. But these pieces are going to be cut and appliqued – I could do whatever I liked with them!
Off to Google Search, where I found several asymmetric, interesting pictures of falling leaves. Using those as an inspiration, I created a bunch of different maple-leaf shapes. The result was this arrangement:
I still have some design work to do, but this feels MUCH better than the previous version:
I like this a lot, and will probably try executing it in applique tonight or tomorrow.