I decided to try out Sharon’s idea, and made part of a third prototype leaf:
This worked out okay, but not spectacular – it produces a nice neat bound edge, but a thick, heavy-looking one.
Before working on the third prototype, I had finished (?) the first leaf, a purple one:
The hand overcast edges look a little ragged, but I like the embroidered veins. Â The right half is wired with fine gold wire so it can be shaped. Â I still need to wire the other half and shape it in a suitable manner.
I think my final solution will be hand overcast edges, but I’m going to “cheat” and apply an invisible edging of Fray Check to discourage fraying. Â A heavy application of Fray Check will discolor the fabric, but a very very thin edging (applied with the point of a pin) came out Â invisible on my sample, and discourages fraying rather nicely. Â So I think I will redo the purple leaf, this time applying Fray Check to the edges to neaten them up a bit. Â I may also machine stitch right next to the edge to further stabilize it. Â Not sure yet. More experiments!
Talked to Sharon yesterday and got the fine points of finishing for Autumn Splendor. Â I’m guesstimating I have ten hours of work left on it, not including the leaves. Â Fortunately those 10 hours are largely things I can defer until after the photo shoot, so I’m going to focus on the leaves! Â Those definitely have to be done by Sunday.