I took some scraps and developed a prototype leaf, experimenting with different ways to overcast the edges. Â It’s hard to make out the distinctions in the photos, but I’ll explain.
- Turquoise: hand overcast with the same rayon embroidery thread used for the veins
- Magenta: hand overcast with a matching sewing thread (i.e. matte, not glossy)
- Green: machine zigzagged in matching sewing thread, and then trimmed back to the stitching
- Royal blue: machine zigzag over a cut edge with matching sewing thread
- Orange: machine zigzag in a matching rayon embroidery thread, then trimmed back to the stitching.
And since the look against a green background is irrelevant, here is what it looks like in situ: