Here is the results of my burnout attempts (not very impressive yet, I’m afraid!):
Here I attempted to apply the devore paste from the back, and as you can see, it was less than successful – this was meant to be a circle, but even after much enthusiastic scrubbing the chenille did not come off completely. Either I did not heat it enough for the burnout to happen, or the devore paste did not penetrate the fabric enough to burn out the chenille. Â Maybe a bit of both.
However, this raggedy sample is still super-valuable as a “proof-of-concept”: the chenille does burn away to reveal the pattern beneath, and the devore paste does not affect the colors (something I was worried about earlier). Â The rest of it will be a matter of working out how to apply the devore paste, how much thickener to add, etc. Â And experimenting with shibori and other kinds of bound resist.
My plans for this weekend have mostly been turned upside down by the weather – I had been planning to do a lot of surface design experiments, but it’s forecast to rain all weekend. Â Rats. Â It rains so seldom here (especially in this dry winter) that I’m always surprised when it happens – it’s not a bad thing, because we badly need rain this year, but it’s certainly inconvenient for working outdoors.
Instead, my plans are:
- weave more samples for devore, to be burned-out whenever it stops raining
- make more quilt blocks for my class
- finish off entry applications for CNCH and New Fibers 2012
- screen print, cut, and apply my labels
- get back to work on the book
Not a whole lot of excitement for the weekend, but maybe that’s a good thing. Â The house closes in mid-April, so between mid-April and mid-May (when we move in) there will be an awful lot of packing to do!