Work continues to be super busy – I have two extremely demanding projects and am monitoring a third – and the path to homeownership seems to be paved with last-minute snafus, so not a lot of creative time. Â I did, however, manage to crank out two drafts:
(Ignore the spots in the background design; it’s actually plain weave, but the resizing is adding what looks like dots. Â Click through to the large image to see how it really looks.)
Here’s the other one:
(Spots in the background are also an artifact of resizing; click through to the larger image.)
I chose an advancing twill threading because I wanted to create images of flames, but I needed the images to be larger than I could get out of straight draw. Â Advancing the twill threading gives a blurred enlargement of what’s in the liftplan – which, for fire, is just perfect. Â I did two versions, one in broken twills and one in broken twill/plain weave. Â The broken twill/plain weave one needs some work, as there are some unsightly floats in the liftplan which translate to unsightly floats in the fabric. Â But it does give me a general idea.
Why broken twill and plain weave, when the image is so much sharper (and the sett simpler) with all broken twills? Â Because I want a super lightweight fabric, for which plain weave is better. Â Fortunately they can both be woven on the same threading, so I can try both.
This is not the final draft, just a doodle – but it does provide a nice proof of concept. Â One thing that will need to change is the orientation of the flames – since the fabric will most likely be hung on the bias, the flames will need to go diagonally. Â Not a problem, just need to change the direction of the line.
Our home loan was finally issued yesterday, so closing should proceed on schedule today. Â If all goes well, the deed will be registered today, and we’ll finally own our first house!! Â I’m totally jazzed. Â Can’t waitÂ to get those keys.