I didn’t make it to the Gaultier exhibit today, electing instead to work on the Celtic Braid Coat. Â After much fussing, I managed to get the cape edges sewn, turned right side out, and pressed. Â There is still a lot of understitching, trimming, etc. to be done before the cape is complete, but at least it nowÂ looks like a cape! Â Previously it looked like a shapeless bag, so this is a great improvement.
And of course I had to throw it up on the dress Â form:
I wasn’t sure if that was too much red, so I tried it with just plain black:
I haven’t really decided about this yet – the top photo, with the Celtic Braid panel, feels a little too busy to me, but the bottom photo feels a bit too plain, and lacks focus. Â The panel really emphasizes the stripe and brings the focus onto the fabric. Â So unless I think of something better, I’ll go with the panel in the final version.
Off to bed! Â Tomorrow I’ll start understitching the cape lining. Â Once that’s done, I’ll finish redesigning the vest, so I can finally cut and sew that leather!