I finished joining panels of fabric and cutting out the cape yesterday, so I justÂ had to do another draped simulation. Â Then I got to messing with the buttonhole design…
Here’s what I tried first – black vest with bound buttonholes made of red-and-black leather (a red lambskin imprinted with snakeskin patterns):
And here is a closeup:
I didn’t like this. Â The “snakeskin” is a little too pale and a little too orangey to match, and the pattern doesn’t relate back to the overall piece. Â (A pity, because I paid way too much for that scrap of leather.)
So I went back to the Celtic braid fabric, and tried it for buttonholes:
I liked this better, but still felt unsatisfied. Â Also, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to do a bound buttonhole in a fabric that heavy.
But what if I made an entire strip of the Celtic braid fabric, and ran it straight down the middle, with black leather buttonholes?
Aha! Â Much better. Â But not much black was left, so I peeled back the edges of the cape by one stripe on either side:
I am not quite sure which I prefer, but I do know that I like both! Â What remains to be seen is how to handle the buttons – which, of course, do not sit nicely and tamely in the center of the buttonhole but pull to one side. Â Off-center buttons would be a disaster. Â I think I will make up a sample buttonhole/button to see how it works, or else consult with Sharon.
Off to the farmer’s market! Â and then to haul an astonishing amount of asbestos tile (left over from when we had the hardwood floors put in) to the hazardous waste dump. Â After that, back to work on the coat!