Cross-posting from the book blog, since I know not all of you are reading it (yet) and I would like to get feedback from as wide an audience as possible:
I’ve finished my chapter outline, and am looking for feedback!
Below is my list of chapters and subtopics so far.
What do you think? Are there things that you think are better left out, or things you’d like to read about that aren’t included? I would love comments, as this will help me shape and tailor my subject matter. (You can also send me suggestions privately, via the contact page, or leave a comment on the Facebook page.)
- Starting Out
- Approaching Design
- Originality, Copyright, and Credit
- What if you don’t have (or don’t think you have) the skills to design?
- Skills you’ll need to design
- Further study in design
- Studying how to think in a medium
- The Design Process
- Finding inspiration
- Collecting ideas
- Using your ideas to generate design(s)
- Evaluating, refining and testing your designs
- Design considerations
- Planning Construction
- Sampling and/or prototyping
- Engineering Design – keeping your options open
- Making Your Piece
- Strategies for construction
- Managing risk
- When things go wrong: Troubleshooting
- Keeping yourself on-track with long projects
- Celebrating the finish
- Retrospecting Afterwards
- What makes a project “successful”?
- Learning vs. Product
- Don’t forget enjoyment!
- Some thoughts on complex and cross-disciplinary projects
- Example project: Autumn Splendor
- Appendix: Design Principles
- Two Dimensional Design
- Three Dimensional Design
- Using Colors