After thinking up all sorts of lovely possibilities (including an utterly crazy, but potentially fantasmagorical, idea involving echo weave), I think I’ve decided to try doing this shawl in network drafting on a 4×8 rosepath initial. I loved the little diamonds in one of Nancy Roberts’ machine-knitted-and-dyed woven scarves, and doing it in a complex initial adds more interest than simply doing it in a 4-end twill initial. Among other things, it will force me to really understand network drafting – and a bit more about “regular” drafting – precisely because it is more complex. I think it will be quite a challenge, but it will also be wicked fun. 🙂
I am also pleased to say that I have rediscovered my Silver Needles electric cone winder. I had written it off as too rough for fine yarns, but after a discussion with Sharon Alderman, I decided to give it a second try. It turns out 30/2 silk is extremely strong and the cone winder handles it without any trouble! So that’s 30,000 yards of yarn I don’t have to worry about winding. I am ecstatic. I am definitely keeping it!
I have now wound 11 of the 29 skeins onto cones. They are gorgeous. Deep, jewel colors. Here’s some eye candy (not a very good photo, but does give an idea for the lusciousness):
And here is a screenshot of the draft I’m playing around with (you may have to click on it for the larger version to see it properly):
I am 99% sure I’m doing something wrong, in part because I have one 8-thread float. At 44 epi, that’s nothing particular to worry about, but it does suggest that I have done something wrong, most likely using a twill tie-up (I have no idea what one typically uses with a rosepath threading/treadling). But the diamond “texture” of the pattern is most appealing, and I plan to continue chugging away at it until I understand what’s going on. Next step will be going back to Alice Schlein’s book and doing a peg plan in the “proper” way, rather than trying to figure out treadling/threading versions.