I’ve spent the last two days furiously unpacking both studio and the rest of the house. Â To my utter astonishment, I now have the studio roughly in order – there is only one half-empty moving box yet to be filed. Â Admittedly, there is a big pile of stuff on the table, and an ominously large stack of samples in a corner pile that need to be dealt with – some from Complex Weavers sample exchanges, some my own that need to be categorized and filed. Â The stack of samples and other stuff that needs dealing with is about eighteen inches high, though some of those are large items that take up more space. Â The actual mass of samples is “only” about five inches tall.
Here is a photo of the most interesting corner (the studio is too small to take a photo of the entire room):
I’m pretty pleased with myself – the organization is quite different (and more efficient!) than what I had previously. Â Thread is hung neatly in storage boxes on the wall, random objects like pins, sewing machine needles, etc. are housed in the many-drawered cabinet underneath the table. Â Previously they had been strewn randomly across the craft table, or precariously teetering in baskets on the pegboard (where I could never find them). Â While there is still quite a bit of random stuff to put away, at least now I have an organizational scheme, and a place to put everything. Â As a friend said once, “Now I have an ‘away’ to put.”
(The cabinet-with-drawers, by the way, is new: I bought it from Ikea yesterday. Â While Ikea is not known for its fine furniture (I bought it because it was cheap and I was broke), I do adore buying things from Ikea because it’s so much fun to assemble the furniture. Â Their instructions are clear, simple, and precise, making assembly quick, neat, and satisfying. Â It’s like putting together a small jigsaw puzzle: it’s so much fun to find each piece and put it in the right spot, and then there’s the final “click” as the last piece goes ceremoniously in place. Â Delightful!)
I’m also pleased with myself because I had worked out the layout down to the last inch, and to my surprise, it worked! Â In particular, I had calculated that there I could fit both table and bookcase against one wall, with just one inch of wall to spare. Â I was worried about mis-measurement, but in fact they both fit, with 3/4 inch to spare! Â I got it exactly right. Â Happiness.
Now, of course, there is the rest of the house, which is still full of boxes. Â (A girl has to have her priorities!) Â Actually I have unpacked quite a few boxes, but you’d never know it by looking: the living room is jam-packed with boxes of books, and the kitchen is in an awful state of disorder. Â I suspect that we have more things to put away than the cabinets will actually hold, and then there is the small matter of organizing the stuff that will fit. Â I hadn’t tackled the kitchen because Mike was still installing the dishwasher (there’s nothing like trying to unpack around a Giant Box occupying a quarter of the kitchen), but he finished it last night (yay!) and so I will tackle the kitchen today. Â After that I will unpack the living room, and only then do I tackle the garage.
I’m glad I took a week off! Â I don’t think I’ll be done unpacking until Thursday or Friday.